Support our Nation today - please donate here
News

Covid inquiry covering Wales to be conducted ‘as speedily as possible’

21 Jul 2022 4 minute read
Retired Court of Appeal judge and crossbench life peer Baroness Heather Hallett. Picture by UK Parliament

The coronavirus inquiry that will cover the Welsh Government’s handling of the pandemic will be conducted “as speedily as possible”, the chairwoman of the probe has pledged.

Baroness Heather Hallett said preliminary hearings will begin as soon as September this year, ahead of substantive public hearings starting in late spring 2023, so that lessons can be learnt before another pandemic strikes.

The inquiry will examine the response to the pandemic and its impact in Wales, England, Scotland and Northern Ireland, provide a factual account of what happened, and identify lessons that can be learned.

Aspects of the pandemic will be grouped into modules, with the first considering the extent to which the risk of a pandemic was properly identified and planned for.

Anyone who wishes to apply to become a core participant for the first module can do so by August 16, with the first preliminary hearing set for September 20.

A second module will cover core political and administrative governance and decision-making around the pandemic in Wales, England, Scotland and Northern Ireland, such as decisions around lockdowns, use of scientific expertise, modelling and data and public health messaging.

Additional hearings in this module will take place in Wales, Scotland and Northern Ireland.

A third module will examine the impact of coronavirus and the governmental and societal responses to it, focusing on patients, hospitals, health care staff, NHS backlogs, vaccination, and long Covid.

Wales’ First Minister has previously said that he had the “opportunity to comment on” the terms of reference of the Covid enquiry, and that the views of those campaigning for a separate Welsh inquiry were taken on board.

Plaid Cymru, the Welsh Conservatives and the Welsh Liberal Democrats have however repeatedly called for an inquiry to be held in Wales on the decisions made in Wales.

‘Listening’

Baroness Hallett pledged to conduct the probe as speedily and efficiently as possible, but warned the “substantial task… will take time and have a significant cost”.

She said she will treat all holders of evidence and witnesses fairly but that she will not hesitate to speak out about any organisation or person “who stands in the way of the inquiry performing its task”.

The Government formally launched the inquiry at the end of June – just days after bereaved families threatened legal action over delays.

It came more than six months after Boris Johnson appointed Lady Hallett to chair the probe in December 2021, and after he previously said the inquiry would start in spring this year.

In an opening statement on Thursday launching the probe’s investigative phase, Lady Hallett said: “I am determined to undertake and conclude the work of this inquiry as speedily as possible, so that lessons are learned before another pandemic strikes.”

A “listening exercise” will begin later this year, she said, enabling members of the public to share their story without formally giving evidence or attending a hearing.

‘Depth’

Lady Hallett said she has been struck by the “devastating nature” of people’s loss, and intends to conduct the inquiry in a way that “acknowledges this suffering and seeks to reduce the scope for others to suffer in the same way in the future”.

She said: “Given the breadth of my investigations, this will not be completed as quickly as some might like. I make no apology for that.

“I am determined to ensure that the inquiry has access to the evidence it needs, and has the time to analyse that evidence properly before witnesses appear in front of me.

“I will try to ensure that the order of modules makes sense and builds a picture of the pandemic.

“Not everyone will agree with that order, but it will allow me to look in sufficient depth at every issue that I believe needs scrutiny.”

Jo Goodman, co-founder of the Covid-19 Bereaved Families for Justice campaign, said: “Today was an emotional day for those of us who have lost loved ones, and it meant a lot to hear Baroness Hallett recognise the devastating nature of bereavement and the pain we’ve been through.

“Hopefully, this will be reflected by not making bereaved families go through the stressful and draining process of applying to be core participants in every single module.”


Support our Nation today

For the price of a cup of coffee a month you can help us create an independent, not-for-profit, national news service for the people of Wales, by the people of Wales.

Subscribe
Notify of
guest
1 Comment
Oldest
Newest Most Voted
Inline Feedbacks
View all comments
Mab Meirion
Mab Meirion
18 days ago

Speedily but ‘thoroughly’ without fear or favour, no face-saving or omissions…

Our Supporters

All information provided to Nation.Cymru will be handled sensitively and within the boundaries of the Data Protection Act 2018.