First Cymru service resumes after measures are introduced to stop unauthorised parking at Maesteg bus station
Lewis Smith, local democracy reporter
First Cymru has confirmed that it is once again running services out of Maesteg bus station after Bridgend County Borough Council took action to prevent unauthorised vehicles from parking there.
The bus company had temporarily stopped running services from the station due to a number of safety concerns last month, with cars and other vehicles reportedly using the station to park, unload goods, and conduct other manoeuvres.
However, in a statement posted on social media by First Cymru earlier this week, it said it had resumed operating in the station again on Monday.
“Traffic orders and and yellow lines have now been introduced. Enforcements have also been scheduled by the local authority to deter any indiscriminate parking.
“We are continuing to monitor the safety situation and will post updates to our social media channels if anything changes.”
A spokesperson from Bridgend County Borough Council added: “To address these important safety concerns, Bridgend County Borough Council has introduced a new traffic order at the station along with new double yellow lines and loading restrictions which gives the authority powers to carry out civil enforcement against drivers contravene the parking regulations.
“The traffic order was introduced shortly after First Cymru reported that a car had backed into one of their buses.
“It follows numerous unsuccessful attempts to deter drivers from entering the bus bay area, as well as reminders that free car parking remains available at Llynfi Street.
“Enforcement officers will be monitoring the situation closely, and will issue unauthorised vehicles parking in Maesteg bus station with penalty charge notices.”
Councillor Ross Thomas said it was a move that would be greatly appreciated by members of the community who use the bus stop on a regular basis, though added he did not want to see the situation return to the way it was.
He said: “I’m really pleased to see that bus services have resumed at the station.
“I’ve had contact from dozens of people who have really found the last few weeks a struggle – there was no seating at the temporary stops in Castle Street and it was made all the worse if carrying heavy bags, by needing to walk that much further out of town.
“Some people actually decided not to come to town until the situation was resolved – so it’s undoubtedly had an impact on the local economy too.
“While I welcome the enforcement action, I am a bit cynical as to how sustainable it will be over a longer period of time.
“I understand the area will be patrolled regularly by both council wardens and South Wales Police in the coming weeks which will hopefully deter vehicles entering the area. I’ll be asking council officers for regular updates on the number of fines issued.
“What we really want to avoid is the situation returning to what it was, as the buses will be pulled out again and we’ll be back to square one.
“I really hope that message gets out – that the bus station serves one purpose, and that is for buses.”
Support our Nation today
For the price of a cup of coffee a month you can help us create an independent, not-for-profit, national news service for the people of Wales, by the people of Wales.