Holiday home extension rejected amid claims area is ‘under siege’
Gareth Wiliams, local democracy reporter
Gwynedd’s councillors have refused plans to extend a holiday cottage at a Llŷn beauty spot amid claims the area was “under siege” by such applications.
Meeting this week, members of the authority’s planning committee defied the advice of officers and turned down the application at Ty’n y Mynydd on Mynydd Nefyn.
The decision comes after members last month refused proposals for a separate house extension at Tan y Mynydd, on the same hillside, having previously been described by one local councillor as “suitable for the slopes of Beverly Hills but not Mynydd Nefyn.”
By a margin of seven to three, Monday saw committee members block the plans at nearby Ty’n y Mynydd despite a warning they could be forced to defend the decision in the event of any appeal.
Described by the applicants as “relatively modest” alterations, they include a single-storey extension to an existing single-storey cottage.
Measuring 4.5 x 3.6 metres and including a garden room, its design would include extensive use of glass on the northern and western elevations.
Addressing the committee, applicant Wendy Mathias said it would provide additional living space and provide more light into the property, currently described as “quite dark” due to the small windows featured on the traditional cottage.
No opposition was raised from members of the public during the consultation phase.
But the local town council had raised objections, however, claiming the “modern feature would affect a traditional building that should be protected in accordance with policies.”
Local councillor Gruffydd Williams, addressing Monday’s meeting, agreed with the stance of Nefyn Town Council.
“This is yet another development impacting on the Area of Outstanding Natural Beauty (AONB), the area is under siege with all these applications,” he said.
“This is a traditional whitewash cottage dating back to the early 19th century, we need to retain and protect these.
“Don’t forget, this is a holiday unit and not a family home.
“Again its this cumulative effect of one development after another, a surefire way of destroying what we have for future generations.”
Committee member Owain Willians proposed refusal claiming it would “stick out like a sore thumb” on the landscape overlooking Nefyn.
“Its design is completely foreign, overbearing and could set a dangerous precedent to change the whole character of the area and we don’t want that,” he added.
But Cllr Berwyn Parry Jones said there was a need for “realism,” noting that the AONB officer had not raised objection and that he saw no reason to refuse.
When it came to the vote, however, by seven votes to three members refused the plans on the basis of design, impact on the AONB and the local dark skies.
It’s unknown at this stage if the applicants plan to appeal the decision.