Support our Nation today - please donate here
News

Liz Truss suggested workers outside London lack ‘mindset and attitude’ to be as productive

16 Aug 2022 2 minute read
Liz Truss. Picture by PA / Henry Nicholls.

Liz Truss suggested that workers outside London lacked the “mindset and attitude” to be as productive as those in the English capital city.

The recording leaked to the Guardian newspaper were made when Truss was the chief secretary to the Treasury, before 2019.

In the recording, she can be heard to say that workers in the UK seem to lack the “graft” of rivals in other countries.

“If you look at productivity, it’s very, very different in London from the rest of the country,” she says.

“But basically … this has been a historical fact for decades. Essentially it’s partly a mindset and attitude thing, I think. It’s working culture, basically. If you go to China it’s quite different, I can assure you.”

She adds: “There’s a fundamental issue of British working culture. Essentially, if we’re going to be a richer country and a more prosperous country, that needs to change. But I don’t think people are that keen to change that.

“There’s a slight thing in Britain about wanting the easy answers. That’s my reflection on the election and what’s gone before it, and the referendum – we say it’s all Europe that’s causing these huge problems… it’s all these migrants causing these problems.

“But actually what needs to happen is more… more graft. It’s not a popular message.”

The leaked recording is unlikely to stop Liz Truss, who is the hot favourite to become the next leader of the Conservative party, from clinching the members’ vote.

The most recent poll for Opinium puts the foreign secretary on 61% and the former chancellor Rishi Sunak on 39%.

However, when offered the choice of Boris Johnson still being Prime Minister, or Liz Truss taking over,  63% of Tory members wanted Johnson and 22% Truss.


Support our Nation today

For the price of a cup of coffee a month you can help us create an independent, not-for-profit, national news service for the people of Wales, by the people of Wales.

Subscribe
Notify of
guest

19 Comments
Oldest
Newest Most Voted
Inline Feedbacks
View all comments
Bill
Bill
1 month ago

Is she for real? All over Britain people work very hard. What does she want? Supervisors with whips, treating workers like slaves? Does she want to go back to the days of children down the mines or in the factory, working a twelve hour day?
Give me strength!!

Charles Coombes
Charles Coombes
1 month ago
Reply to  Bill

Yes, I think she does.

Aled Rees
Aled Rees
1 month ago

It’s going to be a long two years i’m afraid.

One of the two witnesses
One of the two witnesses
1 month ago
Reply to  Aled Rees

Plenty of time for another 2 Tory PMs in that period

Mab Meirion
Mab Meirion
1 month ago

I suggest this woman and every single one of her colleagues in the Tory government lack the mindset, skill-set, attitude and honesty to run a bath let alone the lives of 67 million people…

Y Cymro
Y Cymro
1 month ago

Wonder if all those workshy red wall Tory voters are happy that Liz Truss thinks you need to “graft” more for Britain to become a more prosperous country? And don’t forget. Would-be Prime minister Liz Truss along with Priti Patel, Dominic Rabb, Kwasi Kwarteng & Chris Skidmore co-wrote a book called Britainia Unchained stating, and I quote passages from their book. “Too many people in Britain prefer a lie-in to hard work,” “British work the lowest hours and are among the worst idlers in the world, we retire early and our productivity is poor.” Welcome to Truss’s idiocracy. Where we… Read more »

Mab Meirion
Mab Meirion
1 month ago
Reply to  Y Cymro

The arrogance and conceit of these five partially formed human beings is only matched by their inhumanity toward their fellow man and woman, Add to them the likes of Fat Shanks and Priti Patel and their handlers and minions and you have the dock for a future Nuremberg Trial. The fact that they see Rwanda as a fit and proper place to traffic displaced persons should have them thrown into the Tower of London…

Marc
Marc
1 month ago

Stick to exploring new pork markets, may I suggest Antarctica

Fi yn unig
Fi yn unig
1 month ago

I don’t know what more she can say to prove absolutely that she is not fit for purpose.

Mab Meirion
Mab Meirion
1 month ago

Why does she always look as if someone has just explained that fish breath water…

Or an android in search of some AI…

Bill
Bill
1 month ago

If you want to see just how bad it’s going to be under a Truss premiership, try reading “Britannia Unchained” that she co-wrote with Priti Patel, Kwasi Kwarteng, Dominic Raab and Chris Skidmore. Certainly the UK unproductive workforce is mentioned there and you can see the political ideology showing through already. Perhaps borrow a copy, not sure I like the idea of them receiving royalties.

A different Bill 🙂

Last edited 1 month ago by Bill
Steve Duggan
Steve Duggan
1 month ago

If Truss and her fellow ‘Britannia Unchained’ fanatics had their way – there’d be no regulation and we’d all be back to the working conditions of the early industrial revolution. People working long hours for peanuts in poor working conditions while the business owner looks on from his mansion. These people will drag even further into poverty – the future looks bleak for us here in Cymru unless we get out of this corupt Union now. If Truss and her fellow ‘Britannia Unchained’ fanatics had their way – there’d be no regulation and we’d all be back to the working… Read more »

Last edited 1 month ago by Steve Duggan
hdavies15
hdavies15
1 month ago

Graft ? The only graft these wasters know is the stuff they take in brown envelopes, or more likely nowadays paid direct to off shore bank accounts. She really is a waste of space and very hazardous with it.

Charles Coombes
Charles Coombes
1 month ago

Wouldn’t it be nice if all those workers outsideof the M25, had voted against the tories. Maybe they will next time.

One of the two witnesses
One of the two witnesses
1 month ago

So the next “worst PM ever” ALSO doesn’t realise that the inflated productivity myth about London is because most disUK companies lodge their profits there. Other than that, London’s profits are mainly through laundering dirty Russian Oligarchs’ money through the corrupt UK banking system. If Lizard UnTruss-tworthy thinks sl@aging off the shires will win her fans, even in Flatland, she is somewhat mistaken. The Flatlanders feel they have a god given right to criticise others. They don’t like it when they are on the receiving end of criticism. But I am sure she will flip-flop soon and find other non-Flatland… Read more »

Jim
Jim
1 month ago

She’s just a right wing populist with no talent other than as ‘Warmonger-in-Chief’. When it all starts to unravel, expect her to cover her mess by stirring up an ‘international crisis’. With cries of “you are either with us or against us” she will seek to use phoney patriotism to scupper devolution.

I Humphrys
I Humphrys
1 month ago
Reply to  Jim

Very good. We have been warned.

I Humphrys
I Humphrys
1 month ago

Firstly, UK is not a country. After that, her message gives me hope that Tories will be wiped out In England too. The English should vote for their national party, bring back their Bill Of Rights, and establish the parliament in York.
In Cymru, we know what we need.

Marc
Marc
1 month ago

Not only is the British worker lazy they are also far too fond of French cheese!

Our Supporters

All information provided to Nation.Cymru will be handled sensitively and within the boundaries of the Data Protection Act 2018.