Support our Nation today - please donate here
News

Man in court charged with trying to murder ‘pregnant’ woman in Aberfan

07 Dec 2023 3 minute read
Armed police patrolling near Aberfan following the attack on Tuesday

A man has appeared in court charged with trying to murder a woman in Aberfan on Tuesday morning.

Daniel Mihai Popescu, 28, also faces charges of stalking and witness intimidation after the alleged attack in Coronation Place, Aberfan.

Armed officers from South Wales Police were called out after a 29-year-old woman, named in court as Andreea Pintili, was stabbed at about 9.10am.

Ms Pintili, who witnesses said was pregnant, was taken to the University Hospital of Wales in Cardiff for treatment and later discharged.

Attempted murder

Charges allege that Popescu, of no fixed address, tried to murder Ms Pintilli in Coronation Place, Aberfan, on December 5.

He allegedly tried to intimidate her, knowing or believing that she was a witness, by attacking her, intending “to cause the course of justice to be obstructed, perverted or interfered with”, on the same date.

Court artist sketch by Elizabeth Cook of Daniel Mihai Popescu, 28, at Merthyr Tydfil Magistrates’ Court. Image Elizabeth Cook/PA Wire

Popescu is accused of stalking Ms Pintili between October 25 and December 6 by following her, calling her from withheld numbers and recording a video of her which he uploaded to TikTok.

The defendant, wearing a grey sweatshirt, was tearful as he appeared before Merthyr Tydfil Magistrates’ Court on Thursday morning, assisted by a translator.

He did not enter a plea.

Crown court

District Judge Neale Thomas told Popescu: “The first of the allegations that you face is an allegation that can only be dealt with at the crown court.

“It makes sense for the other two allegations to go to the crown court as well. I am therefore going to transfer these cases to the crown court.

“The next hearing date will be January 4. This is not a suitable case for bail.”

The judge asked if Popescu understood what he had said, with the defendant saying he did.

Gregory Lloyd appeared for the prosecution during the hearing, while Matthew Thomas represented Popescu.

Mr Thomas told the court: “There is no application for bail.”

Schools and a community centre were closed as a precaution after Ms Pintili was attacked.

Police arrested the defendant shortly before 4pm the same day.

On Wednesday evening, police and prosecutors said Popescu had been charged with three offences.

Popescu will next appear before Merthyr Tydfil Crown Court on January 4.


Support our Nation today

For the price of a cup of coffee a month you can help us create an independent, not-for-profit, national news service for the people of Wales, by the people of Wales.

Subscribe
Notify of
guest
0 Comments
Inline Feedbacks
View all comments

Our Supporters

All information provided to Nation.Cymru will be handled sensitively and within the boundaries of the Data Protection Act 2018.