Support our Nation today - please donate here
News

More than half of public say Starmer should keep £28bn green pledge – poll

14 Feb 2024 2 minute read
Keir Starmer picture by Labour

More than half of the British public say Sir Keir Starmer should keep Labour’s £28 billion green spending pledge, a poll has suggested.

The Nature 2030 campaign survey, conducted by Yonder, asked more than 2,000 adults about Labour’s environmental policies between Friday and Sunday.

It comes after the party announced on Friday it was drastically scaling back its key commitment to spend £28 billion a year on green projects to £23.7 billion over the whole course of the next parliament.

U-turn

Environmental groups, trade union allies and energy industry figures all expressed disappointment at the U-turn.

The Nature 2030 poll suggests the majority of British adults also disagree with the move with 54% saying Sir Keir should have stuck to the plans.

A majority was also found to support Labour taking further action to tackle litter and boost recycling.

The Tories have planned a UK-wide deposit return scheme, which would see customers charged a small deposit for drinks purchases that is refunded it they return the bottle, can or carton.

But they have faced widespread criticism from campaigners and industry for delaying the implementation date to 2025 at the earliest and excluding glass bottles from the scheme.

The survey found that 64% of British adults agreed that a future Labour government should press ahead with “an ambitious and comprehensive deposit return scheme” which includes plastic containers, glass bottles and metal drinks cans.

Bold action

Dominic Dyer, environmental activist and chairman of Nature 2030, said: “The public is clearly in favour of maintaining bold action to invest in the future of our planet, and to take decisive action to help us meet our net-zero ambitions.

“There is also a clear appetite for introducing an ambitious deposit return scheme to put an end to the scourge of litter that blights our high streets and countryside.

“Labour must now urgently set out its plan to tackle the climate crisis and to create a green, circular economy. Short-term economic challenges are no excuse for the absence of a long-term commitment to protecting the planet.”

PA has contacted Labour for comment.


Support our Nation today

For the price of a cup of coffee a month you can help us create an independent, not-for-profit, national news service for the people of Wales, by the people of Wales.

Subscribe
Notify of
guest
5 Comments
Oldest
Newest Most Voted
Inline Feedbacks
View all comments
Annibendod
Annibendod
1 month ago

For those who have an interest in the causes of Wales’ relative economic decline, they should look very closely at capital expenditure per capita. That is when the pattern of inequality in UK govt policy becomes apparent. As Adam Price said, there’s nothing inevitable about poverty. Labour had actually, for once, hit upon the kernel of a decent idea here. Some echoes of Roosevelt’s “New Deal”. Wales is exceptionally well placed to benefit from this kind of stimulus – in fact, it’s just what we need. With our ample renewable and natural resources, we could generate wealth from which all… Read more »

Mab Meirion
Mab Meirion
1 month ago

Deep down, Green Cr*p must be Kryptonite for Clark Kent…

The man trapped in a phone box of moral poverty…

Jeff
Jeff
1 month ago

Still getting my vote to oust the Cons (Cons who have a track record, well, they don’t on green issues apart from ruining the place) but by heck term 2 looks a goner unless there is an uptick from this fellow.

Love to see the sums here, I expect the treasury is rather hammered at the moment.

Doctor Trousers
1 month ago

and in starmer’s mind, that’s the 54% of the public who are guaranteed to vote labour regardless, whilst the other 46% are the middle england voters he can’t afford to alienate by actually standing for anything

Alun
Alun
1 month ago

I understand Starmer’s strategy – I really do – but it would be nice if he could offer voters in England just one positive reason to vote for them other than they’re ‘not the Tories’. Apparently not though. Good job we’ve got Plaid here.

Our Supporters

All information provided to Nation.Cymru will be handled sensitively and within the boundaries of the Data Protection Act 2018.