News

Second home owner complains tax premium isn’t ‘fair’ and asks for rebate

14 May 2021 2 minutes Read
Pembrokeshire Council’s offices. Photo by joysaphine, licensed under CC BY-NC 2.0

Katy Jenkins, local democracy reporter

A second home owner has claimed that a council tax premium on his property isn’t “fair” and has asked for a rebate.

Dave Hinns had asked Pembrokeshire County Council whether it would consider a rebate “to those unfortunate to be caught in this position” after the Covid-19 pandemic meant he could not make a home bought in Pembroke in 2018 for retirement his “primary” home in early 2020.

He was told by the cabinet member for finance, Cllr Bob Kilmister, that the rebate on second home council tax premiums could not be decided on half way through a financial year “even if we wished to do so”

While speaking to the full council on Thursday, Hinns said: “Having reduced my hours of employment to make the move and with the Covid restrictions implemented, we found ourselves trapped in England,”

He asked if it was “fair” to charge the second home premium while travel was restricted to prevent the spread of Covid-19.

‘Affordable homes’ 

Cllr Bob Kilmister said that the purpose of the premium is “to help increase the supply of affordable homes particularly in our coastal and rural areas and second homes can reduce the amount of homes available for local people.”

“This purpose had not change due to the pandemic,” he added.

Income from the premium – which is ring-fenced – had allowed the plan for affordable homes in Solva to progress and around £600,000 had been given to local community projects benefiting areas impacted by second home ownership through the Enhancing Pembrokeshire scheme.

The Local Government Act allows for variations to council tax charges to be made but only before the beginning of a financial year, said Cllr Kilmister.

“The council could not have altered it due to the pandemic even if we wished to do so. However, we would not wish to consider a rebate as the purpose the premium referred to previously remains.”

Proposals to increase the premium will be subject to a public consultation in the summer, after a demand from some councillors that changes be made due to concerns about housing availability and affordability, impact on schools and the Welsh language, with a decision on the level likely in October, he added.

Subscribe
Notify of
guest
4 Comments
Oldest
Newest Most Voted
Inline Feedbacks
View all comments
Wrexhamian
Wrexhamian
29 days ago

Cyngor Sir Benfro must not give an inch on this issue. One solution to Mr Hinns’ problem would be to sell his little bolt hole to the council so that they could rent it out at an affordable rate to a local family.

Kevin Glennie
Kevin Glennie
29 days ago
Reply to  Wrexhamian

I believe there were no restrictions in place for people who had sold their property, to move on to their new property during the covid restrictions from within Wales or Englaland. I may be wrong but don’t ever remember hearing any such restrictions being implemented.

Marc Evans
Marc Evans
29 days ago
Reply to  Kevin Glennie

Moving house was explicitly and clearly exempted – in other words, as you suggest, there was nothing in Wales’ regulations to stop the gentleman or anyone else from moving house during past or present restrictions. Perhaps a full and final move was never intended, only keeping a foot in each abode?

Jane Coles
Jane Coles
29 days ago

The person asking the question worked overseas during the pandemic, which makes you wonder just how ‘occupied’ the property would be.

Our Supporters