News

Call for Welsh Gov to allow fans to attend ‘most important game in town’s history’

24 May 2021 2 minutes Read
Sian Gwenllian

A Plaid Cymru Senedd member has called on the Welsh Government to allow fans to attend the “most important game” in Caernarfon Town’s history.

Siân Gwenllian MS, who represents the Arfon constituency in the Senedd, said a reduced capacity of supporters should be able to attend a match between Caernarfon and Newtown on Saturday.

The winner of the football match will secure a place in next year’s Europa League competition.

The MS said she had been contacted by “a number of people” about the football match which is to be played at The Oval in Caernarfon on Saturday.

In a letter addressed to Vaughan Gething, who is responsible for “major events” as part of the economy portfolio and Dawn Bowden who is Deputy Minister for Sports, Siân Gwenllian MS said: “The winner of the game will secure a place in next year’s Europa League competition.

“This is the most important game in Caernarfon Town’s history and there will be much interest from their large following.

“But at the moment supporters will not be allowed into the ground to support their team.

“I think it is timely to use this match to trial the new protocols that need to be in place by August when it’s hoped that 300 clubs will re-open their gates to their supporters.

“It would make sense to decide on a capacity number and appropriate safety precautions after risk assessments are undertaken at the Oval.”

‘Inundated’ 

In a statement on their website, Caernarfon Town FC said: “We have been inundated with messages requesting admittance to the ground for the match.

“As much as we would like to allow every one of you in for the fixture, current Government regulations do not allow it.”

According to Siân Gwenllian grounds in England have had 10,000 supporters inside to watch football matches over this weekend and next weekend 4,000 Swansea supporters and 3,000 Newport supporters will travel to Wembley.

A spokesperson for the Welsh Government said: “The First Minister has said if the public health situation remains positive, at the next three-week review at the start of June, we will consider moving to alert level one, which could allow larger events and organised activities to take place, informed by the programme of pilot events, which is currently taking place.”

Subscribe
Notify of
guest
2 Comments
Oldest
Newest Most Voted
Inline Feedbacks
View all comments
Quornby
Quornby
19 days ago

Y Dre v Barcelona sounds good!

Vaughan
Vaughan
19 days ago

Sa i’n gweld pam na ddylen nhw ddIim cael mynd yno tra mae cefnogwyr Abertawe a Chasnewydd yn cael teithio i blydi Wembley!

Our Supporters