News

Conservatives blast Transport for Wales after yet another overcrowding incident

22 Nov 2021 3 minutes Read
Transport for Wales train. Picture by Jeremy Segrott (CC BY 2.0). Natasha Asghar picture by Senedd Cymru.

Transport for Wales still have not learned lessons from overcrowding incidents, according to the Welsh Conservatives.

The Tories have reacted after passengers were crammed onto trains yet again following the rugby in Cardiff on the weekend – despite Transport for Wales chiefs insisting they had learnt their lessons following similar incidents recently.

Nearly 70,000 people were in the Principality Stadium on Saturday evening watching Wales take on Australia, with more watching from the city’s pubs.

But one passenger, who headed to Cardiff Central Station after the match, said the 8.30pm train to Rhymney had just two carriages.

According to reports by WalesOnline many passengers said they felt unsafe, claustrophobic and anxious with one 12-year-old boy “visibly overwhelmed” with the experience.

Welsh Conservatives have called for Transport for Wales, which is owned by the Welsh Government, to take urgent action to clampdown on overcrowding.

Welsh Conservative Shadow Minister for Transport, Natasha Asghar MS, said: “Despite bosses at Transport for Wales saying only last week that they’ve learnt lessons about overcrowding, it is abundantly clear that was not true.

“Yet again passengers were herded onto trains like cattle over the weekend with the overcrowding so bad that many were pressed up against each other and windows.

“I am sick and tired of pushing Labour ministers and Transport for Wales to take action to tackle overcrowding. It is high time bosses just do the right thing for their customers and run more carriages, especially when big events are happening.

“Passengers deserve to travel comfortable and feel safe at all times, but sadly at the moment Labour and Transport for Wales are letting them down big time.”

‘As many services as possible’

A Transport for Wales spokesperson said: “We’re currently using all the trains that are available to us. We ran as many services as possible, and where we could, we strengthened services on popular routes. It’s a large-scale operation to transport tens of thousands of people on an event day and we’d like to thank our customers for their cooperation on the day and staff for their continued hard work.

“We are delivering a transformational programme across our Wales and Borders rail network that will see more than £800 million invested in new trains which will start to arrive on the network from next year, providing improved capacity and more frequent services.

“Wearing a face covering on public transport remains the law here in Wales, unless exempt. We have clear signage around our stations and regular announcements at stations and on services.

“Conductors and the British Transport Police also remind customers to wear a face covering, but with many services expected to be very busy, this will have an impact of conductors and the police being able to move throughout trains as they usually would.”

Subscribe
Notify of
guest
3 Comments
Oldest
Newest Most Voted
Inline Feedbacks
View all comments
Kerry Davies
Kerry Davies
7 days ago

As before the question Ms Aghar needs to ask and answer is where the £50M a year underinvestment since 2010 in Welsh rail has gone. Her party robbed Wales, cancelled electrification and is now demanding that Welsh taxpayers cough up an additional £6Bn for HS2 which does not and will never benefit Wales.

Dafydd Huw
Dafydd Huw
7 days ago
Reply to  Kerry Davies

Absolutely on the button – this is the question which definitely requires answering. Da iawn.

Kevin Butcher
Kevin Butcher
3 days ago

wales probably has less trains than the london underground ? the torys always rob us and blame us for being skint

Our Supporters

All information provided to Nation.Cymru will be handled sensitively and within the boundaries of the Data Protection Act 2018.