From sun to a soaking: Heavy rain and thundery showers warning for Wales at the end of the week
Wales has enjoyed a week of sun but that is due to come to an end at the weekend with a yellow Met Office weather warning for heavy rain and thundery showers.
The warning comes at the tail end of the first-ever amber warning for extreme heat in Wales which will last until midnight on Thursday. The heavy rain warning will kick in over Saturday and Sunday.
As with the extreme heat warning, the rain warning will apply to all but the coast of the north of Wales.
“Outbreaks of rain and some thunderstorms are expected to spread from the southwest on Friday night, this introducing unsettled conditions to much of England and Wales for Saturday and Sunday,” the Met Office said.
“Heavy, thundery showers are likely to break out by day, particularly on Sunday when these could be widespread and locally torrential. Lightning and hail are also expected. Rainfall amounts will vary from place to place, but there is the potential for up to 100 mm to build up in some locations over the course of the weekend, much of which could fall in a short period of time.”
According to the Met Office:
- There is a small chance that homes and businesses could be flooded, causing damage to some buildings
- Where flooding occurs, there is a slight chance of delays or cancellations to train and bus services
- Spray and flooding could lead to difficult driving conditions and some road closures
- There is a small chance that some communities will become cut off by flooded roads
- There is a slight chance of power cuts and loss of other services to some homes and businesses
Support our Nation today
For the price of a cup of coffee a month you can help us create an independent, not-for-profit, national news service for the people of Wales, by the people of Wales.