Extinction Rebellion groups in Wales will be holding a 3-day festival in Ceredigion this Friday and Saturday.
The Festival at Tŷ Gwyn Farm, Borth on 13-15 September will highlight the dangers and threats posed by climate and ecological breakdown and offer positive solutions for combating it.
XR Cymru said that the festival would be an opportunity for people from all over Wales to learn about the issues surrounding climate breakdown and what they can do to deal with them.
The talks, training and workshops, are intended partly to prepare supporters for the next wave of UK-level action in October.
“The Welsh Government was the first in the UK to declare a climate emergency,” a spokesperson for the movement said.
“To ensure that words become actions, we need more people to join the movement in Wales to show the public support required for radical but necessary policy changes. Welsh rebels, we need you!
“We welcome anyone concerned about the climate and ecological crisis into our midst and we invite people to become involved in any way they feel most comfortable, such as helping to steer XR Cymru strategy through People’s Assemblies, behind-the-scenes support, or through artistic and creative input.”
Tickets start at £10 (concessions) for the whole weekend of activities and include:
- a shuttle bus between the train station and the site
- a tent pitch and campsite facilities
- entertainment from numerous performers including Welsh band Regime, and a ceilidh
Extinction Rebellion describes itself as an international movement that uses non-violent civil disobedience to force governments to act to halt mass extinction, avert catastrophic climate breakdown and prevent otherwise inevitable social collapse.
Extinction Rebellion’s three demands are:
- Our governments must tell the truth by declaring a climate and ecological emergency, working with other institutions to communicate the urgency for change.
- Our governments must act now to halt biodiversity loss and reduce greenhouse gas emissions to net zero by 2025.
- Our governments must create and be led by the decisions of citizens’ assemblies on climate and ecological justice.
Tŷ Gwyn Farm, Borth is located at SY24 5LA.