Llywydd refuses to allow statement by Tory MS who failed to vote on Covid passes
The Llywydd has refused to allow a Tory MS who failed to vote on Covid passes to make a statement on the matter to the Senedd.
Elin Jones told Gareth Davies, who represents the Vale of Clwyd, that his statement is in the public domain, because it has already been shared with the press and Twitter.
She also pointedly reminded all members of the Senedd “ensure they are present early enough and in time to vote”, wherever they may be.
Davies who missed a crucial vote on compulsory Covid passes in nightclubs and big events in Wales because of a technical mishap was at Tory conference in Manchester at the time.
He has said that he is “angry” that he was unable to access the Senedd’s remote voting system.
His absence meant that the vote passed with 28 votes for and 27 votes against. The vote means that the Welsh Government is able to press ahead with its plan. From Monday people will need a Covid pass to go into any Welsh nightclub or large event.
Elin Jones told the Senedd: “And just as I’m on the subject of last night, I received a request by a Member to make a personal statement with regard to his absence from the vote last night.
“I received that request just before 1.30 pm today. I hadn’t even had time to consider that request let alone agree to it when just before 2.15 pm, the content of that statement had been shared with the press and on Twitter.
“I consider that statement now in the public domain and no longer requires to be made to the Senedd.”
“I’ll take the opportunity, however, to reiterate to all Members that it is every individual Member’s responsibility to ensure they are present early enough and in time to vote wherever you may be, and especially if voting from a location for the first time.”
"It's every individual members responsibility to ensure they're present early enough and in time to vote, wherever you may be.. and especially if voting from a location for the first time."
— Peter Gillibrand (@GillibrandPeter) October 6, 2021
She also said: “Before we move on to further Senedd business, I want to touch on events on the Senedd estate last night. I want to reiterate to Members that threats to the safety and welfare of Members, our staff and, indeed, our visitors are totally unacceptable and that too many of you faced threats of that kind last night from protestors.
“There is, of course, a place for non-violent protest. Indeed, most of us have taken part in protests of that kind. But protest that threatens individuals’ safety, be it here at the Senedd or anywhere else in Wales, is entirely unacceptable.
“The relevant authorities will be reviewing last night’s events and we will be in a position to update Members in due course.
Support our Nation today
For the price of a cup of coffee a month you can help us create an independent, not-for-profit, national news service for the people of Wales, by the people of Wales.