Support our Nation today - please donate here
News

Man jailed after posing as teenager to groom young girls online

21 Aug 2026 3 minute read
Mold Crown Court. Photo via Google

Nation.Cymru staff

A man who groomed two young girls after posing as a teenager online has been handed a 14-year extended sentence.

Alexander Sands targeted a 13-year-old girl in the Pwllheli area after making contact through an online video game and claiming he was 16 when he was actually 29.

The 33-year-old, of no fixed abode but from the Preston area, appeared at Mold Crown Court on Friday, August 21.

He had previously admitted meeting the 13-year-old following sexual grooming and assaulting her by penetration following incidents in 2022.

Sands also admitted attempting to meet an eight-year-old child following grooming in a separate case investigated by Lancashire Police. That offence took place in Leicestershire last year.

The court sentenced him to 10 years in custody with an extended licence period of four years.

He was also given lifetime restraining orders protecting both victims, ordered to register as a sex offender for life and made subject to a 12-year Sexual Harm Prevention Order.

North Wales Police said Sands initially made contact with the first victim through one of her friends while they were playing a video game online.

He told the girls he was 16 and asked the victim for her social media details, which she refused to provide.

On another occasion, Sands told her he was going to visit her that weekend despite the girl never having told him where she lived.

The following day he travelled to the Pwllheli area and found the 13-year-old sitting on a bench with friends.

Police said that when she refused his request for a hug, Sands pushed one of her friends from the bench, sat beside her and forced himself on her.

He kissed her, attempted to put his hands down her trousers and sexually assaulted her.

‘Danger’

Detective Sergeant Jamie Aston said: “Alexander Sands is a danger to children and used an online platform to target his victim to fulfil his sexual desires.

“This case highlights just how important it is for children and their parents to know exactly who they are speaking to online.

“I commend the bravery of the victims in these cases for having the courage to come forward and to give their accounts, which has resulted in Sands’ lengthy sentence behind bars where he can no longer cause harm.

“We encourage all victims of sexual assault to come forward with the confidence that they will be heard and supported.

“Violence against women and girls will not be tolerated and remains a foremost priority for North Wales Police. We will continue to pursue those responsible and bring them to justice.”


Support our Nation today

For the price of a cup of coffee a month you can help us create an independent, not-for-profit, national news service for the people of Wales, by the people of Wales.


Get more trusted Welsh news

Choose Nation.Cymru as a preferred source in Google News to see more of our journalism.

Subscribe
Notify of
guest

0 Comments
Oldest
Newest Most Voted

Our Supporters

All information provided to Nation.Cymru will be handled sensitively and within the boundaries of the Data Protection Act 2018.