Mass vaccination programme for 12- to 15-year-olds to be confirmed next week
The rollout of Covid jabs for 12- to 15-year-olds is expected to be announced early next week following a review conducted by the UK’s four Chief Medical Officers.
According to the Observer, this will also include a mass inoculation programme beginning in schools within two weeks.
The programme for vaccinating children is set to commence on 22 September.
Last week, the Joint Committee on Vaccination and Immunisation (JCVI) said children would receive only marginal health benefits from a mass vaccination campaign but its report was solely based on medical grounds and didn’t consider the benefits to children’s education.
According to the latest figures, under-19s currently make up the largest proportion of new Covid cases across Wales, accounting for 31% of all new positive tests.
Friday’s government press briefing, First Minister Mark Drakeford said “really good progress” had been made vaccinating 16 and 17-year-olds, with more than two-thirds having their first dose.
“We know that many who are admitted to hospital have not been vaccinated – and many are those are young people under the age of 30,” he added.
New proposals for a Covid booster programme for adults who have already received two Covid jabs are also expected to be confirmed on Tuesday by the JCVI.
It is expected to green-light the programme following the conclusion of research conducted by the University of Southampton onto the safety of a third jab.
“There is emerging evidence from Israel that the effectiveness of vaccines may start to decrease after eight months, making a booster jab important.”
“We will start sending invitations out as soon as the announcement is made and our NHS has worked hard to make sure it can start the programme as soon as it gets the go ahead,” Mr Drakeford added.