News

No evidence so far that visitors are bringing Covid into west Wales tourism hotspot, says council leader

15 Jun 2021 2 minutes Read
Llangrannog in Ceredigion. Picture by Llinos Dafydd

Katy Jenkins, local democracy repoter

Half term visitors appear not to have caused a spike in coronavirus cases in the popular tourism area of Ceredigion, the council leader has leader said, despite her concerns “people would be carrying it in.”

Cllr Ellen ap Gwynn gave her regular update to cabinet on the covid-19 pandemic status at today’s meeting and said the number of cases “doesn’t seem to have increased here” as it had in some areas after the school holidays.

There were seven cases recorded in the last week in Ceredigion cabinet was told a rate of 9.6 per 100,000, and “the positivity rate is very low at the moment”.

She added that there had been high numbers of visitors and that was expected to continue, with pedestrian safe zones in Cardigan, Aberystwyth, Aberaeron, Borth and New Quay reintroduced again in the summer holidays.

Altered versions were trialled at half term and “everything seems to have gone well.”

Cllr Elizabeth Evans received confirmation that the safe zones were temporary and any permanent adjustments would be subject to a public consultation.

The Delta variant is “causing some concern and the numbers are rising” said Cllr ap Gwynn, adding Wales was faring better than other areas of the UK “but that doesn’t mean things cannot get worse here if we are not careful.”

The key message was to wash your hands, keep your distance, wear a mask, particularly indoors, and to get the vaccine, said Cllr ap Gwynn.

As of June 9, 67% of the Ceredigion population had received the first vaccine dose, and 40% their second – “the vaccine roll out has been very strong here” said Cllr ap Gwynn.

Subscribe
Notify of
guest
1 Comment
Oldest
Newest Most Voted
Inline Feedbacks
View all comments
Wrexhamian
Wrexhamian
1 month ago

Perhaps Cymru’s vaccination programme is working.

Our Supporters