No new deaths reported in Wales from coronavirus for the first time since March

Coronavirus. Picture: US Department of State

Public Health Wales have confirmed no new reported deaths from Covid-19 today for the first time since the pandemic began in March.

PHW’s figures published today also showed there were only eight new cases reported. Their figures only show deaths in hospitals or those confirmed in laboratories, and Monday’s figures are often lower because of a delay in reporting deaths over the weekend.

The figures are also revised retrospectively so deaths could be added in the future. They can also show fewer deaths on certain days when they are assigned to their correct dates – their figures also now show no deaths on 18 June as well as 3, 4, 5 July.

The Office for National Statistics also publishes figures on a weekly basis that show all registered deaths where Covid-19 is suspected, including outside of hospitals such as in care homes or at home.

Conservative MS Andrew RT Davies, who has been campaigning for relaxing restrictions, said the announcement was “great news”.

“Coronavirus isn’t going away anytime soon, not until a vaccine is found, but we now need to focus on reopening schools, society and the economy in a safe manner in Wales,” he said.

“Lives are being saved, now we need to save livelihoods.”

‘Respect’

The first death from the virus in Wales was reported in Wrexham on March 16. Overall, 1,531 people in Wales have been officially confirmed as having died with the virus and 15,898 have tested positive for Covid-19.

The new cases recorded today were in Cardiff, Ceredigion, Conwy, Denbighshire, Rhondda Cynon Taf, Vale of Glamorgan, and Wrexham.

So far:

  • 360 have died in the Betsi Cadwaladr Health Board area in the north of Wales
  • 57 in the Hywel Dda Health Board area in Dyfed
  • 206 in the Abertawe Bro Morgannwg University Health Board area around Swansea
  • 328 in the Cwm Taf Health Board area in the central valleys
  • 268 in the Cardiff and Vale University Health Board
  • 275 in the Aneurin Bevan Health Board area in Gwent
  • 15 in Powys, but deaths of residents in hospitals in England are not recorded
  • There were also four deaths in Wales of people whose residence was outside the country

Scotland reported its first day with no deaths from coronavirus on 7 June, and Northern Ireland on 26 May.

The news came as the Welsh Government dropped the ‘stay local’ rule, meaning that visitors could travel into and within Wales for the first time in months.

The five-mile rule of thumb designed to slow the spread of coronavirus has meant that tourists were unable to travel far within Wales or over the border from the rest of the UK.

The First Minister, however, called on visitors to “treat Wales with respect” and “act responsibly” as the ‘stay local’ rule is lifted in Wales today.

Self-contained accommodation will open on 11 July, and pubs, bars, cafes and restaurants can open outside from 13 July.

People from two separate households have from today been permitted to join together to form one exclusive extended household, including people who are shielding.

Articles via Email

Get instant updates to your inbox

Comments are closed.