News

Parties suspend campaigns in Senedd elections following Prince Phillip death

09 Apr 2021 2 minutes Read
Senedd Cymru. Inset: Prince Phillip.

Wales’ main political parties have announced that they’re suspending political campaigning for the Senedd elections following the death of Prince Phillip.

Plaid Cymru, the Labour Party and the Conservatives announced that they would suspend campaigning for the election on May 6.

“As a mark of respect following the passing of the Duke of Edinburgh, Plaid Cymru is suspending campaigning for the Senedd elections,” Plaid Cymru said.

“We are deeply saddened to hear of the death of Prince Philip. Out of respect Welsh Labour will suspend campaigning,” Welsh Labour said.

“We have suspended our campaign with immediate effect,” the Welsh Conservatives said.

“In light of the sad news of the passing of His Royal Highness The Prince Philip, Duke of Edinburgh, Reform UK will be suspending campaigning for the rest of today,” Reform UK said.

It is not the first time a Royal death has led to the suspension of a devolution poll in Wales. Campaigning was also suspended for a week following the death of Princess Diana on 31 August before the referendum to set up the Welsh Assembly on September 18, 1997.

The opposition leader at the time, William Hague, asked Tony Blair to delay the referenda in Wales and Scotland, but he declined.

Buckingham Palace announced earlier that Prince Philip, the husband of Queen Elizabeth II, had died aged 99.

He had travelled from Windsor, where he has lived full-time since his retirement, to London for a brief hospital stay earlier this year. He ultimately spent a month at hospital before his release in March after heart surgery.

Subscribe
Notify of
guest
0 Comments
Inline Feedbacks
View all comments

Our Supporters