Plaid Cymru cancel spring conference over coronavirus fears
Plaid Cymru have cancelled their spring conference on March 20th-21st in Llangollen because of the coronavirus outbreak.
The party said the decision had been made “after lengthy and careful consideration” , and that they were heeding the latest public health advice – particularly from the World Health Organisation that “urgent and aggressive” action is taken.
“It isn’t a decision that was taken lightly, especially with only 14 months until the Senedd Election,” a spokesperson said.
“However, the health and wellbeing of our members, supporters and stakeholders is of paramount importance.
“We believe that cancelling the Conference is the most responsible course of action for the party to take in the current circumstances.”
They are the second party to shelve their conference after the Lib Dems. The Lib Dem get-together had been expected to kick off in York on Friday and run until Sunday.
Neil McEvoy AM’s new Welsh National Party also said that they were postponing their launch on the 3rd of April until the coronavirus risk has passed.
They said that they were following the advice of the WHO rather than the UK Government in doing so.
“We feel such action is particularly urgent now there are 19 confirmed cases of Coronavirus in Wales, with the first confirmed transmission within the community,” they said.
“More than 100 people had registered for the launch of the WNP on the first day registration was made available. The board, therefore, considered it highly likely we would reach the 250 person capacity at the venue. Many of those planning to attend were elderly, some of whom have pre-existing medical conditions.
“We take our responsibility for people’s health and safety extremely seriously and we also take our responsibility to our health professionals seriously, who are likely to be overwhelmed with cases of Coronavirus in the coming weeks.
“The WNP will continue to take any action we can to protect people’s health and lessen the burden on the Welsh National Health Service.
“The board will continue to monitor the outbreak, with an aim to formally launching the WNP later on this year.”
Support our Nation today
For the price of a cup of coffee a month you can help us create an independent, not-for-profit, national news service for the people of Wales, by the people of Wales.