Plans to build 300 homes on former Wrexham steelworks site look set to be approved
Liam Randall, local democracy reporter
Plans to build 300 homes on a former village steelworks site look set to be approved after developers addressed concerns over the impact on traffic.
The Welsh Government had originally called for proposals to create new properties on land around the old Brymbo Steelworks in Wrexham to be refused.
It followed fears being voiced that a nearby junction off the A483 would be unable to cope with the extra traffic generated by the scheme, which also includes a primary school, shops and a pub.
However, officials withdrew their objections after applicants Brymbo Developments Ltd (BDL) provided an assessment which argued the impact would be “minimal”.
The application has now been recommended for approval by Wrexham Council’s chief planning officer ahead of a crunch meeting next week.
Lawrence Isted agreed that the impact on the Coedpoeth junction would be limited, while highlighting future plans to improve the intersection.
In a report to councillors, he said: “After consideration of the additional information submitted, Welsh Government confirm they are content that the impacts of the development on the A483 trunk road warrant the withdrawal of their previous direction to refuse.
“Highways have also confirmed that they agree with the conclusions in the submitted highway impact summary.
“The development is not expected to increase queues on the A483 slip roads.
“Furthermore, the traffic generated by the development would represent a five per cent increase in the amount of traffic predicted to be use using junction four in 2030.
“None of the above takes into account the proposed improvements to junction four which are currently expected to be completed around 2024-2025, before the completion of the development.”
Brymbo Steelworks closed almost 30 years ago resulting in the loss of 1,100 jobs.
BDL initially entered proposals to build 450 houses on the industrial site in July 2019.
The earlier application is the subject of an ongoing appeal to the Planning Inspectorate over delays by the local authority in making a decision.
Mr Isted said the latest plans would deliver a number of benefits for the area.
He added: “The current application presents a significant opportunity to secure the redevelopment of one of the largest areas of previously developed land in the county borough.
“In addition to making a significant contribution to the supply of housing land, the development will secure what, is in effect, the delivery of a new district centre, including provision for class A1 retail, A3 (public house) and a primary school.”
The council’s planning guidance would normally require a quarter of the site to be allocated as affordable housing.
But Mr Isted said the distract valuer had advised that no affordable housing was needed as a result of a study into the viability of the development.
Approval of the scheme has been recommended subject to BDL entering into a legal agreement to provide land to the authority to allow a school to be built.
A decision will be made by the council’s planning committee at a virtual meeting on Monday, September 6.
Support our Nation today
For the price of a cup of coffee a month you can help us create an independent, not-for-profit, national news service for the people of Wales, by the people of Wales.