Welsh Gov launches employer vaccination toolkit
The Welsh Government has launched new toolkit to support employers to help their workers get the Covid-19 vaccine.
Economy Minister, Vaughan Gething and Health Minister, Eluned Morgan, made the move to help businesses and organisations in an effort to increase vaccination rates.
Wales has some of the best vaccination rates in the world, with more than three-quarters of adults have completed the two-dose course.
Vaccination has helped to weakened the link between coronavirus infections and serious illness and hospital admissions.
But there is a risk that more people could fall seriously ill if rates of vaccination do not increase further as the delta variant continues to spread in Wales and the rest of the UK.
Ministers have said that it is never too late to take up the offer of vaccination in Wales.
The toolkit encourages employers to:
- Be as flexible as possible when it’s time for staff to have a vaccine, this could include giving employees paid time off work to attend their appointments for both vaccine doses;
- Use the campaign resources provided by the Welsh Government to run an awareness campaign in their organisation and provide employees with access to reliable and accurate information about the vaccine;
- Share the Q&A document and expert advice videos to explain the vaccine and answer common questions employees may have;
- Urge staff to be cautious about misinformation and encourage them to use trusted sources like phw.nhs.wales if they are searching for information or answers to questions about the vaccine;
- Create employee vaccine champions by encouraging staff to discuss their experiences and share information with colleagues, family and friends.
Economy Minister Vaughan Gething said: “Vaccines are the way out of this pandemic. They’re helping to protect people from serious illness and helping us all return to a more normal life. For the vaccine to be as effective as possible, it is really important that as many people as possible have it.
“We are urging employers in Wales to encourage their employees to be vaccinated. Businesses and organisations play a vital role in helping to promote a positive vaccination message and helping to make sure workplaces are safe and employees are protected.
“Only through a collective effort will we encourage as many people as possible to get the Covid-19 vaccine.”
Health Minister Eluned Morgan said: “The Covid-19 vaccine programme is the biggest vaccination programme in NHS history. It has already saved thousands of lives.
“People who are vaccinated are far less likely to get seriously ill, be admitted to hospital or die from this awful virus.
“Our message is clear – join the millions already vaccinated. Together we’ll keep Wales safe.”
Joanna Swash, Group CEO of Wrexham-based Moneypenny.Com said: “We are extremely supportive of the Welsh Government’s approach to the Covid-19 vaccination programme and the safety and wellbeing of our employees is always our number one priority.
“We have over 900 people in our HQ in Wrexham and we have actively encouraged our teams to get vaccinated by allowing them time off to make appointments for their vaccination. We believe it is in everyone’s interests that we are vaccinated as a community so we can all play our part in helping to control the transmission of this virus.”
Support our Nation today
For the price of a cup of coffee a month you can help us create an independent, not-for-profit, national news service for the people of Wales, by the people of Wales.