Welsh Government ministers have been accused of “sticking two fingers up” at the Senedd after not attending physically today.
Cardiff has been under local lockdown since 6pm on Sunday and Welsh Government ministers said that due to restrictions they had decided not to travel to the Senedd to debate in person.
But the Welsh Conservative Health spokesman Andrew RT Davies condemned the decision, saying that it was “disgraceful”.
“They’re sticking two fingers up to the Senedd and the opposition,” he said. “The media must take their antics today to task.”
Health Minister Vaughan Gething, however, said that the decision was due to the restrictions in place in the city.
“The decision by Welsh Government ministers not to attend the Senedd in person is in accordance with our understanding of the local restrictions in place to help keep Wales safe,” the Health Minister said.
“We will still – of course – be fully participating in Senedd business online.”
However, Andrew RT Davies hit back by pointing out that government ministers had been doing interviews at studios in Cardiff Bay.
“Labour ministers could do interviews yesterday in ITV studios in Cardiff Bay – a stone’s throw from the Senedd – but they can’t be bothered to attend the Welsh Parliament today,” he said.
“Running away from scrutiny. Running away from the job. Vote them out next May.”
The main restrictions in place in Cardiff are:
- People will not be allowed to enter or leave the Cardiff Council area without a reasonable excuse
- People will no longer be able to form, or be in, an extended household (sometimes called a “bubble”)
- This means meeting indoors with anyone who is not part of your household (people you live with) is not allowed at the moment, unless you have a good reason, such as providing care to a vulnerable person
- All licensed premises have to stop serving alcohol at 10pm
- People must work from home wherever possible