Sport

Footballer Sorba Thomas covers English flag with Welsh flag on FIFA game

23 Sep 2021 2 minutes Read
Sorba Thomas’ Instagram post where he has covered up the English flag with a Welsh flag

Huddersfield Town player Sorba Thomas wasn’t best pleased when he saw his new FFA 22 game card.

Not only did he take umbrage at his ratings on the bestselling game, but was so mortified that his card featured the English flag, he cut out a tiny Welsh flag and covered over the offending item.

In a post on his Instagram, the player whose mum is from Newport and who has spoken of his aspirations to play for Wales, wrote: “I’m not happy with this a lot has gotta be changed here.”

The post certainly impressed the Wales fan base, who immediately called for him to be included in the next Wales squad.

He’s certainly in with a good chance, given he’s been Huddersfield Town’s star player this season and was named Championship Player of the Month for August.

He’s also spoken of his keenness to play for Wales, with international boss Robert Page said to be monitoring the form of the winger after confirming his eligibility.

The original Sorba Thomas FIFA 22 card (Credit: EA Sports)

In a recent interview with the BBC he said: “My mum was born in Newport. If I keep doing what I am doing, I hope I can achieve one of my personal goals and make my mum happy.”

Let’s hope Mrs Thomas gets her wish very soon.

Notify of
guest
11 Comments
Oldest
Newest Most Voted
Inline Feedbacks
Jack
Jack
28 days ago

Pretty disappointing the makers of FIFA make assumptions about nationality like this, especially as he’s publicly stated his intention to play for the Welsh team. Nationality is about more than where you are born.

Russell
Russell
28 days ago
Reply to  Jack

until very recently Thomas’s official nationality as far as his eligibility goes with the footballing authorities goes was English. He has since changed it to Welsh

Wrexhamian
Wrexhamian
28 days ago
Reply to  Russell

Therefore he should have had a Welsh flag on his game card.

Quornby
Quornby
28 days ago

David Lloyd George was born in Manchester….. no one would describe him as anything other than Welsh. President Biden describes himself as Irish. It’s what makes your heart beat that little bit quicker not being born somewhere other than your own country because of bad weather or lack of hospitals or work for your Dad. The Welsh diaspora is finding its voice at last.

Y Cymro
Y Cymro
28 days ago

I empathize with Sorba Thomas. So frustrating. Those coders can create complicated games using AI but are useless at geography. I bet the FIFA 22 game was developed in America. Just got a feeling it was.

I can recall In the early 90s there was rally game released on the Playstation 1. It featured most of the world rally tournaments and various mountain, forest & desert courses, but when it came to the British rally, showed the map of the Britain, tracks featured which were obviously in Mid-Wales & SE Wales , but in bold stated England.

Last edited 28 days ago by Y Cymro
Russell
Russell
28 days ago

Podcast Pêl-droed – the first and longest running podcast about the national team – recently chatted with the Huddersfield Town fan podcast And He Takes That Chance about their thoughts on Sorba Thomas

Welsh_Sion
Welsh_Sion
28 days ago

Can we not adopt the quote as a meme, for use with regard to say, Westminster and similar – places, people etc that do no good for Cymru?

“I’m not happy with this. A lot has gotta be changed here.”

Gloyw
Gloyw
25 days ago
Reply to  Welsh_Sion

Syniad da

Stephen Owen
Stephen Owen
28 days ago

Da iawn, Cymru am byth 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿

Eifion
Eifion
26 days ago

Not defending their actions but I doubt many people have heard of him or knew his background.

j humphrys
j humphrys
25 days ago
Reply to  Eifion

Well they should now, and we should be proud of him. I certainly am!

Our Supporters

All information provided to Nation.Cymru will be handled sensitively and within the boundaries of the Data Protection Act 2018.