Joint bid by Wales and others for 2030 World Cup set to go ahead despite reported Uefa cooling
A joint bid to host the 2030 World Cup that includes Wales is set to go ahead despite the suggestion that Uefa is reported to favour a rival attempt by Spain and Portugal.
Wales, Northern Ireland, the Republic of Ireland, England and Scotland are planning a bid for the competition but Uefa have previously said that they would favour only one European bid in order not to split the votes.
Th bid only originally included only nations within the UK but the governments of the UK and the Republic of Ireland have now discussed the latter joining the bid.
In a statement published today the Football Association of Ireland said: “We remain committed to the ongoing feasibility study in regard to a potential bid for the 2030 World Cup alongside our fellow associations in England, Wales, Northern Ireland and Scotland.”
Ian Mallon, the former FAI director of communications who also worked as a consultant for Uefa, had previously reported that the governing body favoured a rival bid expected to be made by Spain and Portugal.
Uefa wanted the nations of Britain and Ireland to bid instead for the 2028 European Championship, Ian Mallon told the Sunday Times.
An insider also told the Mirror newspaper: “It’s accepted that this isn’t going to happen and the sooner that message is delivered, the better.”
“I’m not sure it was ever that realistic once Spain and Portugal had declared their intent to host the tournament, and for many reasons not least geography and easy access between the two countries, this one makes more sense.”
Support our Nation today
For the price of a cup of coffee a month you can help us create an independent, not-for-profit, national news service for the people of Wales, by the people of Wales.