Senedd 2021 election debates postponed by Prince Philip death
Two Senedd election debates that were due to be broadcast on ITV over the next few days will be postponed due to Prince Philip’s death, it has been announced.
ITV were due to broadcast Wales Decides: The ITV Debate tomorrow, Sunday 11 April 7pm, and a second debate with the smaller parties on Monday 12 April at 10:45pm.
However, Plaid Cymru, Welsh Labour and the Conservatives announced on Friday afternoon that they would be suspending their campaigns until after tributes at 11am at the Senedd on Monday.
As a result, the two debates have been postponed for a week until 7pm, Sunday 18 April and 10.45, Monday 19 April.
The BBC One Wales debate is set for 29 April, and there is no expectation that the Royal death will impact that broadcast.
Buckingham Palace announced Prince Philip’s death yesterday morning. The cause of death has not been disclosed, though the palace said that he died peacefully. The funeral is scheduled to take place on 17 April 2021.
ITV Wales’ Senedd coverage will now include:
On BBC Wales:
- The four main party leaders questioned in individual Ask the Leader programmes
- The main party leaders come together for BBC Wales Leaders’ Debate on 29 April
- Two special editions of BBC Radio Cymru’s Hawl i Holi
- New BBC Radio Wales series, The Leaders Lounge hears from former Welsh political leaders
- Special episodes of the BBC Radio Wales podcast Walescast and the Welsh language podcast Gwleidydda
- Extended Politics Wales programmes featuring main party leaders
- A full results service across BBC One Wales, S4C, BBC Radio Wales, BBC Radio Cymru, BBC News online and BBC Cymru Fyw
- Hayley: Virgin Voter follows the BBC Wales and BBC Three presenter as she learns about voting
Support our Nation today
For the price of a cup of coffee a month you can help us create an independent, not-for-profit, national news service for the people of Wales, by the people of Wales.